When it comes to LGBTQ-friendly cities in America, most people would probably think of San Francisco, New York, or Los Angeles. However, there is another city that has been making strides in promoting LGBTQ rights and inclusion, and that is Austin, Texas. Austin is the second most LGBTQ-friendly city in the U.S., according to a recent study by LawnStarter.
What makes Austin LGBTQ-friendly?
The study ranked the 200 biggest U.S. cities based on 20 indicators of an ideal LGBTQ city, such as anti-discrimination policies, the share of same-sex households, and LGBTQ support resources. Austin scored high in several categories, such as:
- Having the highest share of same-sex households (1.4%) among the top 10 cities.
- Having a perfect municipal equality score of 100, which measures how well the city protects LGBTQ people from discrimination and supports their well-being.
- Having 11 PFLAG chapters, which are groups that provide support, education, and advocacy for LGBTQ people and their families.
- Having 10 LGBTQ-affirming health care providers, which are facilities that offer culturally competent and inclusive care for LGBTQ patients.
- Having 7 pride events per year, which are celebrations of LGBTQ identity and community.
How does Austin compare to other cities?
Austin ranked second only to San Francisco, which is widely regarded as the LGBTQ capital of America. San Francisco scored higher than Austin in categories such as the percentage of LGBTQ population (6.2%), the number of gay bars (29), and the state equality tally score (100). However, Austin beat San Francisco in categories such as the cost of living, the median household income, and the unemployment rate.
Other cities that made the top 10 list include Hartford, Las Vegas, Orlando, Portland, Denver, Seattle, and Boston. Some of the least LGBTQ-friendly cities in the U.S. include Memphis, Oklahoma City, Anchorage, Birmingham, and Jacksonville.
Austin is a city that embraces diversity and inclusion, and that is reflected in its ranking as the second most LGBTQ-friendly city in the U.S. Austin offers a variety of resources, events, and opportunities for LGBTQ people and their allies, as well as a high quality of life and a vibrant culture. Austin is a city that proves that being LGBTQ-friendly is not only the right thing to do, but also the smart thing to do.