Dieting in 2020: Fad or Fact?

Jackson Newman, Copy Editor

It’s a new year, a new decade, and with that comes a handful of new trends and fads. One such trend is dieting. However, dieting isn’t as simple as one may think. There are many different types of diets, meant for all types of people and what they wish to achieve. Maybe you want a slim body? Maybe you want to gain weight instead? Maybe you want to lower your cholesterol, or keep a stable blood sugar? Whatever the case may be, dieting can improve your health in many ways, but unless you know which is best for your specific needs, you may not get the results you want–or even worse you may harm your body instead of making it healthier.

A teacher at North Little Rock High School, who wished to remain anonymous, remarked about Crash Diets (a weight loss diet with the goal of achieving very rapid results) and how dangerous they can be. “Crash Diets can weaken your immune system, which means you can contract sicknesses and diseases much easier than normal,” the staff member explained. “It also increases your risk of dehydration, heart palpitations, and cardiac stress.” 

Crash diets can also lead to “Yo-yo” dieting, a repetitive cycle of gaining, losing, and regaining weight, has been shown to have negative health effects, including an increased risk of heart disease, long-lasting negative impacts on metabolism. 

However, there are healthier ways to diet. “The Atkins diet is one of the most well known low carb weight loss diets,” commented the NLRHS teacher. “You can lose weight by eating as much protein and fat as you like, as long as you avoid carbs. The main reason why low-carb diets are so effective for weight loss is that they reduce your appetite.” 

People diet for reasons other than health. Water fasting is a period when a person doesn’t eat any food and only drinks water. Water fasting may be done to lose weight, or for spiritual or religious reasons, such as Ramadan, the muslim holy month of fasting.

Whatever the case may be, whether it’s a New Year’s resolution, a commitment to a lifestyle change, or religious purposes, dieting safely and correctly, as well as being properly informed, is very important in maintaining your health.